Monday, April 27, 2015

c2e2 2015 - Classic Con Report


High light: I got to spend time with Gail Simone and bent her ear for a half-hour about getting into comics. She's just as awesome in real life as she is on Twitter.

Low light: Looks like my con crud free streak ends here. Time to restart the clock...when I have the energy.

Best experience: Watching Scott work the crowd waiting in line to get stuff signed by Gail. He's the best opening act in the business. Any business.

Worst experience: I could not, for the life of me, make it to a panel on time. I caught the tail end of most, but I felt like I was playing catch-up all weekend.

Best bargain (had to buy it, no freebies):  Image trades at the 50% booth. I read Sex Criminals on the way down Saturday and wanted the rest immediately.

Best FreebieThe Star Wars lanyard they gave out on Saturday.

Most welcome surprise: A wide variety of cosplayers. It's not just the Harleys and the Jedis anymore. Good obscure costumes too, like this Visitor from V.

Most unwelcome surprise: The lines are getting bigger. That means c2e2 is going to stay viable, but it means I still didn't get to see the big names at the show.

Best costume: The Hawkman whose wings used real pheasant feathers. Ether the guy has a hook up at a pheasant farm or he needs to take out an insurance policy on those wings. 

Cosplay herd names:
A mischief of Lokis
A peg of Agent Carters

Most amusing costume: This Doom was good, but his Latverian accent, which sounded kind of like Death from the second Bill and Ted movie, put it over the top.

Coolest booth and why: 
Karen Hallion did some amazing pictures I've seen on the internet. That's stuff is always cool, but buying a print from her to pay her for her talent was a great feeling.

Strangest moment: Realizing the difference between this and SDCC. I think cons this size are more my speed.

Favorite item available in the Exhibit Hall: There were a ton of 50% off trades booths, which always make the trip worthwhile.

Purchases:
Nightwing 1-4
The Star Wars
Sex Criminals 1
Manifest Destiny 1-2
Leia Mucha print

Free Stuff:
Signatures
Star Wars lanyard

Couldn't Find It:
Atomic Robo Vol. 9
Sex Criminals Vol. 2

Best Quote:
"Let's Sorkin while I get to my next panel."

No comments:

Post a Comment