Tuesday, September 24, 2013

13th Age Bestiary - Hatchling Edition

Pre-orders for the 13th Age Bestiary are live. If you order now, you get a basic PDF immediately as well as a chance to playtest the monsters, plus an upgrade to the full PDF and book when it's ready.

I got to have a lot of fun with this book, which is full of D&D monsters with unique twists. +Rob Heinsoo revealed two of the monsters I worked on, which I tease a bit more below. I even put it past a jump for the spoiler averse. (Though, I guess if you are pre-ordering, you don't have to worry about spoilers.)

I'll also take a moment to plug the blog for my own 13th Age game, which has its second episode this Friday.



The lich: These are a perennial D&D favorite and have a direct connection to an Icon. I thought the "lone lich in a tower" was old hat. I also come from a background of scheming dead guys thanks to playing a lot of Vampire. What's scarier than someone willing to rip out their own heart and put it in a magic box for a shot at living forever? A hierarchy of people like that looking to screw each other over.

The zorigami: This was the monster that I got from +Kenneth Hite and was completely at sea about. I couldn't find much about it from my research and most of what I did didn't make it feel like a monster to be slain in a dungeon. So, I went big, I went weird and the combination of the two paid off. This is one of those monsters you can base a whole campaign on.

No comments:

Post a Comment